Friday, January 15, 2021

Easy Two Egg Pavlova

The first time I ever had pavlova was when I was visiting someone's home in Washington state. I still remember the pretty presentation with kiwi, strawberries, blueberries and other fruits on top. It tasted so good, but the taste was only part of the experience. There was also the satisfying outer crunch and the chewy middle, but it somehow melted in my mouth. Fast forward a couple years and I had it again in Scotland at the end of a lovely meal. It was every bit as good as I remembered and I've loved it ever since. Sadly, it's not very easy to make. I've only been successful about 50% of the time. But I'm willing to keep trying because it's just so good when it works out. This is the recipe I got from Isobel Jackson in Beith, Scotland over 25 years ago.

2 egg whites
1 ½ c. powdered sugar
½ tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. cornstarch
4 Tbsp. boiling water

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix on high speed until mixture is very stiff (approx. 15-20 minutes). Spread in a circle on foil or parchment covered baking sheet. Makes one 11” pavlova. Bake at 300° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200° and continue to bake for 1-1 ½ hours. Turn off heat and cool in oven. Top with cream and fruit. (Raspberries or a combination of mandarins, kiwi and strawberries are great!) Or top with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment